BJC India Chapter
About the workshop
We will be organizing a free week-long professional development workshop for teachers from 29th July 2019 to 2nd August 2019. It will be led by UC Berkeley Professor Dan Garcia (co-founder of BJC) at the development center of Persistent Systems in Pune. The BJC curriculum introduces Snap!, a blocks-based programming language developed at UC Berkeley, that removes the need for beginning students to memorize commands when learning to program. Our BJC course has been endorsed by the College Board and code.org , and all our resources are free! The workshop hence aims to provide detailed training on how to program in Snap and help introduce Snap! to students. We are delighted to announce that more than 20 schools and institutions will be participating in the first edition of the BJC India Professional Development.
- There will be no fees required for the professional development workshop. Schools will only have to bear the lodging and travel expenses for their teachers. If you decide to attend this conference, you will be required to submit the form as a statement of intent to register.
- Once you submit the form, you will be emailed a confirmation letter within 2-3 business days.
- Schools are requested to fill the required form by 15th May 2019.
- After receiving your confirmation letter, you will be required to submit the details of the teachers who would be attending this workshop.
- No background in computer science is required to attend the conference.
- Teachers who intend to teach BJC curriculum in the 2019-2020 academic year are encouraged to attend.
- It will be held at facilities of Persistent Systems: 9A, Aryabhata-Pingala, 12, Kashibai Khilare Path, Marg, Erandwane, Pune, Maharashtra 41100.
- The workshop will begin on 29th July 2019 and conclude on 2nd August 2019.
- The workshop will begin at 10:00 AM and conclude at 5:00 PM everyday.
- You are not required to bring your laptops. All technology requirements for this workshop will be taken care of.
- Breakfast, lunch and high-tea will be provided.
- For your convenience, the BJC staff has developed a list of hotels which can be accessed here.
Post Workshop Logistics
- We value your feedback and therefore as a mandatory component of this workshop, you will be required to submit a feedback form to BJC India. This will help us improve future conferences.
- We believe that to be able to continue this endeavor, we need your support! Thus, schools will have the opportunity to take this initiative ahead as potential BJC instructors/hosts for future conferences.
- We will be providing a library of resources, both online and offline, that would help you implement BJC in your classrooms. We are here to support you with any kind of difficulties you face in its implementation!
- Participants can find projects, demos as well as other resources discussed during the PD on this link.
- Lastly, welcome to the BJC family!